Serundeng is a mixture of grated coconut, peanuts, onions and spices. It is sprinkled over your rice to enhance the flavour and texture. Place in a small bowl on your table, so diners can help themselves. It will keep in a airtight jar for a considerable time.
- 250 gr. grated Coconut
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 4 Shallots
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 100 cc Tamarind extract
- 1 stalk Lemongrass (bruised)
- 150 gr. Peanuts (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon Trassi (toasted)
- 2 teaspoons ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground Turmeric
1. Grind Shallots and garlic into paste using a pestle & mortar or food processor.
2. Heat oil in wok or frying pan.
3. Mix all ingredients and slowly fry over low heat, stirring continuously, until golden brown.
4. If the mix is still to moist after getting the right colour, slowly dry on a baking tray in a low oven. remove Lemongrass.
5. Leave to cool and store in airtight jar.